|Title:||Crunchy Whole Wheat Parmesan Bread|
|Category:||Breads - Clean (Only natural/organic ingredients), Vegetarian|
1 1/4 c lukewarm water
1 pckg. (1/4 oz.) active dry yeast (2 1/4 t)
1 1/2 c whole wheat flour
2 T olive oil
1 1/2 t sea salt
1 1/2 c bread flour- divided
1/4 c (1 oz.) freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
1 egg white substitute- beaten until foamy
1 T olive oil
1/2 c (2 oz.) freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
|Directions:||1) Place water in large bowl; sprinkle with yeast. Let stand 30 seconds; stir until blended. Let stand 5 minutes or until yeast is foamy. Stir in whole wheat flour, 2 T oil and salt until batter is smooth. Slowly stir in 1 cup of the bread flour and 1/4 c cheese to form soft dough. (Dough will be sticky.) Cover; let stand 15 minutes.
2) Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface; knead 8 minutes or until dough is smooth and springy, using additional 1/2 c bread flour as needed to keep dough from sticking.
3) Lightly oil clean large bowl. Place dough in bowl; turn to coat with oil. Cover; let rise in warm place 1 hour or until doubled in size. (Or cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours or up to 24 hours.)
4) Gently punch dough down; turn out onto lightly greased baking sheet. With greased hands, shape into 12-inch flat round loaf. Cover with clean towel; let rise in warm place 45 to 60 minutes or until loaf is almost doubled in size.
5) Meanwhile, place oven rack in lower third of oven. Heat oven to 375F. With sharp knife (dip knife in flour to avoid sticking), cut dough all the way through into 2-inch squares. (Leave loaf whole; do not separate into squares.) Lightly brush top with egg white.
6) Bake 35 minutes or until light brown on top and pale brown on bottom. Brush with 1 T oil; sprinkle with 1/2 c cheese. Bake 5 minutes or until cheese is melted and bottom of bread is light brown. Remove from pan; cool completely on wire rack.
|Makes:||1 loaf (32 pieces)|